Thursday, March 17, 2011

Ok, so I may not like Apple.

I have become known at work as the guy who doesn't like Apple... or Facebook... and according to some people Verizon. While I am not a fan of these companies I do believe they have value. (with the exception of facebook)

I thought that I may be able to explain why I have these feelings about Apple, but I have realized that there are some Apple fanatics out there that no matter what I say I am still just flat out wrong. But let's give it a shot anyway. My main issue with Apple is that they do not open their systems (try changing a battery on an iPhone) to the public. When it comes to development they not only screen all apps submitted to their store, but they also deny them simply because there are already 5 apps in the store that do that function.

Additionally, Apple has made a practice of taking other companies trademark names and using them in their product lines with little to no regard to the original copy write owner. While this isn't an earth shattering thing, it does make it pretty clear that they don't care what other companies do or stepping on the toes of others. Some examples of this include the "i"names. This line came from HP who had the iPaq line which included a desktop and a touchscreen PDA. iPhone was a trademarked name on the market from Cisco when Apple introduced their "iPhone".

Then there is the multi-touch patent that Apple filed and received for their touchscreen. This patent was eventually overcome, but was filed without any thought to the fact that 2 years before the iPhone Adobe TED presented this at one of their conferences.

Finally, the pricing of Apple product has turned me away from their products. Price is a huge factor when it comes to the technology I purchase and this is because it changes so often that I never want to overspend on something that will be "old" in 6 months. I feel that they charge so much for 2 reasons. First their products are known to be easier to use and less complex than a Microsoft product. Second, a premium brand name can fetch a premium price for no other reason than the brand, look at Rolex! Since I am a techy, the first reason for paying more does not apply because I can fix pretty much and issue involving a Microsoft product. I am not and have never been a brand names guy. My clothes are not normally high end brands. My cars are not high end brands so why should my phone or computer be?

Despite all of these things, I will give it to Apple for being innovative and creative in their products and having a time to market that no other companies can seem to keep up with. Also, they have managed to build a brand loyalty that borderlines on fanatical addictions. This is truly something that every other companies would love to figure out how to create. This kind of loyalty is something that only drug dealers and Apple have ever been able to accomplish and for that I applaud them.

Now as for facebook, just check my previous post for an explanation of that. And as far as Verizon goes, I don't have any particular dislike for them. But I think just because I happen to be a satisfied T-Mobile customer must mean that I can't like Verizon? I love free market and you know what it takes for free market to work? Competition!

No comments:

Post a Comment