Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Well Ya'll, We've Moved to Texas

I have been in Texas for a little over a month now and it has come to my attention that many people didn't even realize I had moved. This is most likely because I am a terrible communicator in my personal life. I suppose that it could also have something to do with the fact that we went from zero to Texas in 3 weeks. But now that the move is done, I thought a blog may be appropriate to explain what, why, and how of this move.

It is no secret that Sara and I were not a fan of winter. We are known for our barbecues and we enjoy being outside and with me being from the south originally, it really was just a matter of time before I wanted to come back. Late last year, Sara and I noticed our neighborhood in Columbus going down hill and quick. Houses that had been empty for over three years that were in need of being condemned, kids running around every where paying no attention to who's property they were destroying with parents no where to be found, more and more rentals, low sell prices that took over a year to get, an increased presence of the police helicopter, and no sign of an improvement to come. With the growing family, Sara and I were just becoming frustrated with our neighborhood and decided that we would put our house up for sale by owner. We were not in a hurry and thought that we could have some more flexibility in the house price without paying the realtor fee.

We had some interest in the house but as we looked around, we just kept coming back with we didn't want to live in Ohio so why buy another house there? So we discussed and decided that Austin, TX would be a good place to make home. I booked a trip here in April to come explore the city and see what it had to offer. While here, I saw over 20 houses in a variety of areas and interviewed with all of the major staffing companies in the area as a way to get my name out.

When I returned to Ohio, I applied for 3 jobs in Austin just because they seemed like a job for me. I actually interviewed for all of them! But that is another blog. So in relatively short time, Comsys had an interview for me with a little Austin original start-up company called Dell which I accepted a Program Manager position with. Due to the need, they asked for a 3 week notice. Leaving me and Sara deciding how we would move across the country with a 17 month old in only 3 weeks. I went into full project management mode.
Step 1: Doctors for Sara and Charleigh
Step 2: Friends for us
Step 3: Place to live
Step 4: Packing and moving stuff down
Step 5: 1236 mile drive with a toddler, pregnant wife, and 100lb dog? (Wait that is crazy!)
Scratch out step 5
Step 6: Flight for toddler and pregnant wife.
Step 7: Get the cars to Texas
Step 8: Get rid of the Columbus house. (Did I mention home sales taking years and selling very low)

And this was just the high level!

So in a very short amount of time, we were able to get things together and list our house for a bargain basement price in Columbus with a realtor who actually advertises, "I will sell your house in 39 days or I will sell it for free." We found our home in Texas, and got Sara and Charleigh doctor appointments in Texas, and 2.5 weeks in the entire plan was laid out and showing on time, a true test of my project management skills. Even my boss at McGraw-Hill was impressed!

I know I am skipping a lot of details about the move, but trust me, that is a separate post all together.

June 6th, I started with Dell. Or did I? Lets play this out for you. It is June 3rd, I am in Texas and I get a call. The recruiter tells me there is a paperwork issue and they aren't ready for me on the 6th, it will probably be the 7th. Now I am nervous. I just moved all of my stuff 1236 miles for a job that isn't ready for me. My family is flying in on Sunday the 5th and how do I explain to my wife and mother-in-law that I don't have to go in on Monday but it is ok, they still want me? Well, Monday came and I was told that I couldn't work on Tuesday, but they would pay me for Monday and Tuesday anyway. Then Tuesday gave way to Wednesday which became Thursday and then I had my first week off with pay before I even worked a day! So, my first day was June 13th!

So it has been a month and a half now that I have lived in Texas. I cannot say I am unhappy with our decision. Our house here is good. It needs some things to make it feel like ours, but that was to be expected. Our house in Columbus is in contract and should close in early August. My job with Dell is going well, I am finally starting to understand what is going on and add some value. We are expecting our second baby any day now (actual due date 7/22).

So I think that catches people up. Now I will go back and fill in some of the blanks for everyone. Maybe I will start with the move process...

No comments:

Post a Comment